Sunday, September 30, 2007

Ontario Relay Champion!

Today was the Ontario Relay Orienteering Championships held at Milton (near Toronto). It's quite a low key event but my club (Waterloo Stars) and team still wanted to win.
RESULTS NOW ONLINE

Nick Duca set off strongly on first leg, and despite losing 2 minutes part way round, he capitalised on a mistake by the rest of the field to come back in 1st with a 1 minute lead. Andrea Chappel ran second, with a good run to set me off in 3rd place about 2 mins down. I overtook 2nd early on, and didn't see the leader but went past them somewhere. A clean run led to victory, and a nice homemade pumpkin pie. The area was fast but hilly (a ski hill) and I completed my 4 km course in 24:35 mins.
It was a good day for Stars, with two top 3 teams in the handicapped class as well.

Kelso, Gator Orienteering Club

I also ran cross-country yesterday. This was the home meet on North Campus. 8 km (four 2km laps on parkland) took me 27:33 mins. I felt strong and was fairly happy. Only seven people can run at the Ontario Uni champs in about a months time, and I think I'm currently about 7th or 8th in the team, so I'd like a good run at Kingston in a fortnight.

The Warriors Prepare, a view of the course area and Columbia Lake
Photo of me, credit: Natasha Lane

No comments: