Monday, April 21, 2008

US Middle and Relay Champs

I travelled to Rochester in the USA this weekend for the US Middle and Relay Champs. It wasn't that far, 4 hours drive and is on the south shore of Lake Ontario.

The areas were really nice. Not much on the ground so were fast and had big contour features to navigate by and still detail for fine navigation at the control sites. I was a bit shaky in the middle, taking 48 mins for 5.3 km. Lots of misses. I think I am just a little out of practice. Hopefully the summer evening events can fix that.


There was also a sprint race in the afternoon but I took it easy, wanted to save myself for the relay, and make sure I got it right.



The Relay was much better. My team came 2nd (not counting the non-comp team of two who actually won and each ran two legs - they are both Canadian national team runners), just missing out on winning the USA/Canada Challenge Cup by 90 seconds.
At the US Relays a handicap system is used and each team must have at least 4 points for the premier relay (eg. in our team, M40 (1 point) W40 (3 points) and 2x M21 (no points).
My run, on 3rd leg, was pretty clean but I did mess up by about 2:30 mins at one control by following the wrong re-entrant, stupid. Enjoyed it though.


Maps from Rochester Orienteering Club
Results at http://roc.us.orienteering.org/2008-A-meet/A-meet.main%20page.htm

My exams finished last Wednesday. One was really good, two were decent and one was bad.
Montreal on Thursday.

No comments: